design thinking initiatives for a better urban life
apps awareness bahrain bike climate culture Death design digital donations economy education energy extreme Extreme climate funerals georeference GSD Harvard interaction Krystelle mapping market middle east mobility Network networkedurbanism nurra nurraempathy placemaking Public public space resources Responsivedesign social social market Space time time management ucjc visitor void waste water Ziyi
Nurrarì is a proposed network of collection, information and transformation points in Nurra. The topic of the project starts from the problem of waste in a low density area, as Nurra. Is it possible to transform the problem of the waste in an opportunity for the territory? Can the waste be resources?
The work is divided in different phases:
1. BECOMING EXPERT_ At the beginning we tried to became experts in the topic and we started to collect data about the waste management system in Nurra.
2. GENERAL STRATEGY_ After collecting all the information we proposed a general strategy created a network of collecting point (Nurrarì) to improve the waste management system in Nurra and reduce the waste.
3. ACT NOW_ As the strategy is very general we decided to focus of one aspect: the involvement and attraction of the people through the design of a new “physical” information system, using the collected information and the existing eco-volunteers pavilion ( a simple standard mobile working station).
1.During the first part of the course analyzed the official sources we went to visit and interviewed the main authorities and companies involved.
• the manager of Scala Erre (the main solid urban waste landfill in Nurra);
• the responsible of Gesenu (company which manage the system of the waste collection and transportation);
• Sassari Municipality ( in the person of council member responsible of the environmental issues);
• the factory manager of the main collection points for the differentiated waste (Gesam, R.G.M.);
• The manager of Cartiera Logudoro (one of the few factory using recycled material);
• The referent of the draft law “Rifiuti Zero” for the Nurra area;
• The eco-volunteers (a group created by the municipality with the aim of informing the citizens about the differentiated waste).
After collecting all the information, we created a report of the real situation about the waste management system in Nurra. That report was the starting point of the project. This phase was very important because the whole system is very complicated and only a small part of the citizens really knows how it works.
We used the obtained data and we analyzed the impact in social, economic and environmental aspects. From our analysis we found some critical points, which are:
• Exploitation of natural environment to the use of three landfill site.
• Decentralized waste management system in Nurra (centered in the main city of Sassari).
• Weakness of information and communication from the municipality mismanagement of the system;
2.Starting from these critical point, we propose a general strategy, in order to involve people of Nurra through creating a network of multifunctional points inside every village (Nurrarì), encouraging the citizens to have a proper waste management system. These “Nurra points” should have 3 different functions:
a_COLLECTION of the differentiated waste and selection to reuse and recycle.
b_INVOLVING PEOPLE, by activate them into the system and improve the tools for communication and information. For example we can rethink about the existing mobile stand, used for awareness program, in a more efficient way .
c_PROPOSE A SYSTEM OF FINANCIAL BENEFIT, through the collaboration with local productive activities.
The goal of this proposed system are:
• to reduce the disposal of undifferentiated waste to the existing landfill of Scala Erre in Nurra, that will be closed in seven years;
• to improve the collection of differentiate waste;
• to decrease the CO2 emission and the costs of the transport system;
• to decrease the waste municipality fee.
3.It’s important to specify that all these benefits can be reached in the future only if all the people will take an active part. For this reason one of the function of the Nurra point of each village will be the awareness and information about the system.
This is why we chose to focus on this issue in the third part of our work.
Starting from the existing eco-volunteers pavilion, we customize it, making it an identity sign for the eco-volunteers groups, and at the same time the support for all the information about the system. The aim is to improve the information tools using it for show how the Nurra waste management system works, its critical points and its opportunities. The exhibition panels are made using cardboard tubes, according to the aim of texting all the possible use of recycled materials.
It was one of the most the most interesting part of the work, because it was not only a project but we tested it in the real word, building some of the panels with the collaboration of the eco-volunteers, and using it during one arranged day in Palmadula. Now it is only a prototype, but it can be improved and become the new eco-volunteer mobile working station.
With the findings of our research and proposal we want to make people aware of the existing problems and opportunities about the proper management of waste in Nurra.
It also can be useful for the municipality and different organizations to reconsider the management system of Nurra and communication to the citizens.
Elena, Sara, Borhan